struts-user mailing list archives

From "Fumo, Vince" <Vince.F...@acs-inc.com>
Subject RE: Struts + Spring or Struts versus Spring
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:31:52 GMT
Don't know if it's appropriate to do this, but I am adding my 2c as well.
I've been using Spring and Hibernate with Struts for some time now and have
found it to be excellent. If you are the book type, there is a very good
book on Spring from Apress titled "Pro Spring" that covers the entire
framework quite well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Germuska [mailto:Joe@Germuska.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:40 AM
To: Ted Husted; Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Struts + Spring or Struts versus Spring

In short, what Ted said.

More elaborately, I've been using Spring with a
lot of Struts web apps, and I'm very happy with
the combination.  Spring does a whole lot more
than Struts ever wanted to do, and you can use as
much or as little of it as you like.

And even though Spring MVC exists as a
self-contained webapp framework, they also have
some nice Struts-specific support, including base
Action classes which are aware of Spring and
going as far as an alternate RequestProcessor
which supports using Spring as an Action factory
where the Actions it creates are "wired" with
references to your business expert
"collaborators".

http://www.springframework.org/docs/api_1.2/org/springframework/web/struts/p
ackage-summary.html

The Spring WebFlow project also looks promising.
This too comes with some Struts support.
http://www.theserverside.com/common/printthread.tss?thread_id=32676
http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/display/WEBFLOW/Home

Joe

At 7:35 AM -0500 3/30/05, Ted Husted wrote:
>Spring is a large project with several components. The Spring Core
>works just fine with Struts. You can use it to instantiate your
>business objects from Struts Actions.
>
>Aside from Spring Core, the Spring project also includes a Spring MVC
>component. Spring MVC does overlap with Struts. Spring MVC is a fine
>framework. Use whichever one works best for you.
>
>Yes, Struts + Spring + hibernate (or iBATIS) is an excellent approach.
>
>-Ted.
>

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:22:00 +0200, Rodolfo GarcĂ­a Esteban/CYII
><rgarciaesteban@cyii.es> wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I have been reading about frameworks and I have seen something about
>>  Spring, and I have a lot of doubts. Spring is complementary or is then
>>  same place?. In some places said that Spring is complementary thats
>>  threats about the middle tier, but I have seen some examples and Spring
>>  replaces the action servlet and has his own Controller. What do you
think
>>  Spring is compatible with Struts?, is better Struts than Spring? is
better
>>  Spring. Do you think the solution Struts + Spring + hibernate could be a
>>  good approach?
>>
>>  Best Regards

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com