struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [OT] ORM vs JDBC [WAS- BRANCH: Typical Struts development team and distribution of tasks?]
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:49:44 GMT
>Question:
>For those applications which are both OLAP and OLTP, then why not
>use both types of solutions?
>Is this not a reasonable solution? Am I missing something?

It is indeed a reasonable solution; I don't do much heavy duty data
munging, but I've had decent results using views to back beans which
model "report rows"; in some cases also I have processes which build
a reporting table as a sort of an index, and then use that as a
source for report row beans.  Yes, it involved making objects which
are otherwise irrelevant to the domain, but it really simplified
things and avoided the need to move data around between objects and
some reporting output.

For real heavy duty data crunching, this may not work, but so far
it's been good for me on two projects.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska