struts-user mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: DownloadAction Application
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:55:38 GMT
The point is unavoidable, however, that whatever is persisted is
persisted on a file system somewhere.  The only difference between
modern databases and the old ones is that they have multiple files
which are related through some cool logic.  Writing to a database is
writing to a file system, right?  I think what you are saying is that
you don't write to the manifold machines in the cluster but have some
other way of handling it.

Anyway, you don't need to know how the session is replicated,
accessed, etc. for this issue.  You know that the session holds the
monitor and that is enough.  If you want, you can have a demon
notified that should monitors are finished and to have them nuked from
the session.  The monitor is pretty light, so this is probably
overkill.

<SNIP>
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:46:48 -0500 (EST), Frank W. Zammetti
<fzlists@omnytex.com> wrote:
> I can say for sure that within our environment here, which is Websphere
> 5.0.1 on Linux, a cluster of about 20 machines (and a number of clusters,
> but the clusters themselves are independant so it's not relevant here),
> each request that comes in can be serviced by any of the 20 machines in
> the cluster.  Regardless of which one a request is serviced by, the
> session is available.  Is it writing to a common database?  Or maybe has
> some RMI process working between them to do the session replication?  I
> don't know that answer, although something like the second seems more
> likely to me, for the very performance reasons you rightly point our Leon.
> :)
<SNP>

~Dakota Jack~