struts-user mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Correct Prepopulate Method
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:48:07 GMT
Too bad ActionForms were called "ActionForms" rather than something
like "ActionData", "ActionState", or "ActionContext".  The html pages
are "populated", I guess, with data.  If you try to map ActionForms to
html or JSP forms, I think your whole way of looking at the problems
becomes completely skewed.  Think of the form data as data and not as
some ghost of the form.  The term "pre-populate", in my opinion, is
not very useful.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:18:15 -0700, Schuster Joel M Contr ESC/NDC
<Joel.Schuster@cisf.af.mil> wrote:
> I've read a number of articles about correct pre-populate forms methods,
> including the following:
>
> 1.      http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-09-2004/jw-0913-struts-p3.html
> <http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-09-2004/jw-0913-struts-p3.html>
> 2.      http://struts.apache.org/faqs/newbie.html#prepopulate
> <http://struts.apache.org/faqs/newbie.html#prepopulate>
> 3.
> http://www.coreservlets.com/Apache-Struts-Tutorial/Struts-Forms.html#Ex1-Ste
> p1
> <http://www.coreservlets.com/Apache-Struts-Tutorial/Struts-Forms.html#Ex1-St
> ep1>
>
> I have some questions.
>
> The first article does not talk specifics about how Lazy-Loading would be
> implemented.
>
> The second doesn't talk about how the actual pre-population would be
> implemented in the action.
>
> And the third does it in a way that's different from how others do it.
>
> Here's what I've gotten so far...
>
> There are two different ways that I see to do it.
>
> 1.      Load the FormBean up in the constructor.
>
> a.      This does not work in Dyna*Forms since there's no actual
> implementation
> b.      This then moves the logic to the actual form bean which is not where
> it's supposed to be.
>
> 2.      Load the FormBean in a precursor Action
>
> a.      This works well but every example I've seen then does something like
> this:
>
> Request.getSession().setAttribute( '"formBean", bean);
>
> This seems like a bad idea since it places the bean into the session scope.
> I've tried doing this by putting it directly into request but of course the
> jsp then doesn't have access to it because the request on the Action is not
> in the same scope as the 'form'.jsp
>
> So I guess I'm at a loss on how best to pre-populate Dyna*Forms. Examples
> that have worked from your experience would be appreciated.

~Dakota Jack~