struts-user mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is It Possible to Code Using Struts and JSF at the Same Time?
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 04:22:38 GMT
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:30:41 -0800 (PST), Caroline Jen
<jiapei_jen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am working on a big J2EE project. The project is at
> its initial stage. The leaders of the project have not
> quite made up their mind on whether we are going to
> use the Struts framework or JSF. But, all members of
> the team think that we should start coding.
>
> Is it possible to use the Struts framework and JSP at
> the same time? And once the final decision is made, we
> can move to that particular direction? How can it be
> done?

You are certainly not the only project team in this position :-).

My standard advice nowdays is to evaluate JSF and Struts separately
against your needs.  If JSF by itself does what you need, then you
should use it by itself -- this is where the future is going to be.
If you need Struts functionality in addition, you can use the
struts-faces integration library to make that happen (even though the
library is primarily oriented towards supporting migration of existing
applications).

To gain experience with the integration library, download a nightly build from:

    http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/struts-faces/

and peruse the README.txt file in the top level directory.

I would caution new projects, however, to *not* use the Struts HTML
tags.  That part of Struts has received fairly little developer
attention, and should be considered legacy at this point.  In
addition, there is no real UI component model there; JSF deals with a
large number of issues for you.

For more adventurous developers, you might also consider what I've
proposed for the next generation of Struts -- a framework called Shale
(which is now a formal Struts sub-project) that presumes you are using
JavaServer Faces and adds value behind it.  Nightly builds of that are
available at:

    http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/struts-shale/

> -Caroline

Craig McClanahan