struts-user mailing list archives

From Radu Badita <radu.bad...@gmail.com>
Subject [OT] Re: [To sum it up] Re: Confused / one little question
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:49:25 GMT

In fact, this thread was really about Struts and how it integrates with
various J2EE technologies and containers, not "about Hibernate/EJBs"...
Anyway: I don't think that anyone says that Hibernate is better than EJB
period; but maybe easier and more flexible to use than Entity EJBs CMP,
which is just one of the species of EJBs.
It is true that EJB (entity beans or not) has these nice features you
mention: declarative transactions and declarative security (multi
threading and "synchronization" are in fact container and coding
related, and also "implemented" by Hibernate), BUT the question is: are
those really necessary?
Hibernate also supports CMT, and, if facaded by SessionBeans (which is a
very common scenario and is also recomanded for entity beans), you have
declarative transactions.
Security is a very nice feature, but in scenarios where you only use a
web application to access the EJBs, and the EJB container is "isolated"
from the rest of the world, it becomes either useless, or a burdain to
use... And I think that this scenario is the most common (especially
among the subscribers to a list such as "Struts Users" :)
It's also true that in some scenarios the Entity Beans might be more
effective than using an ORM such as Hibernate, but these scenarios are
extremely rare...
Also, even Hibernate is sometimes regarded as being too complicated and
too hard to learn by some (it was a very hot discussion about this on
this list), and in even simpler scenarios are preferred even simpler
tools such as iBatis, ORB, etc..
In my opinion, a discussion with a subject such as "EJB is better than
Hibernate" is completely meaningless... The right tool always depends on
the job, and the right tool for every imaginable job was just not yet
invented.  :-)
The answer to your last question IMHO is: yes, you can, if the web layer
is the only thing accessing your beans. But the subject of security is
much more complicated in a real-life application than "what framework do
I need to best implement it?"

You're welcome,
Radu