struts-user mailing list archives

From Michael Taylor <mtay...@txesystems.com>
Subject Re: Navigation Problem
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:06:57 GMT
Alternatively, you can use one action form in session scope with a
series of actions representing each page.  Each page in the wizard would
have a series of forward representing the transition links from that
state to others, basically modeling a FSM with actions as states and
forwards as transitions.  This works well, with configuration of "next"
and "previous" being pushed out into the struts configuration file.  If
you need the list of valid pages to transition to filtered, you can do
this with a little logic in a) the form, b) the action, or c) a tiles
controller that pre-processes the GET request for the form and
additively or subtractively controls which navigation paths are visible
on the page.  I've done this several times entirely in struts for
different "wizard" flows.  I've always wound up coding the state
transition guards in Java, which is why an alternative like Spring flow
might be even better.

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Taylor
TXE Systems, Inc.
mtaylor@txesystems.com

Abdullah Jibaly wrote:

>I have not used it yet, but you may want to take a look at spring web flow, it is designed
for these 'wizard' scenarios, and supposedly integrates well with struts.

>If you want to use Struts components only, one suggestion:
>
>1 big action
>1 big action form
>Several jsps
>
>The jsp form always posts to the same action, which then figures out its state, based
on that validates the input, does its stuff and forwards to the right jsp.