struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <new...@pingsite.com>
Subject Re: [FORMDEF] Resetting booleans for session-scoped dynaforms
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:31:52 GMT
Hubert Rabago wrote:

>On 10/12/05, Michael Jouravlev <jmikus@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Do you want to say, that Struts somehow gets to know that a form was
>>submitted? How exactly does it do that? Can you show it in the code?
>>There is nothing in request which says "this stuff comes from an HTML
>>form". Struts just gets a request with bunch of name/value pairs, and
>>this is it. How should it know that this is a submission?
>>

>No, what I'm saying is Struts doesn't distinguish between the two
>(AFAIK).  However, you seem to.
>
>Regardless of your conventions for GET and POST, I still don't
>understand how a call to reset() when a form is submitted messes up
>your prepopulation routine when no forms are being submitted and
>reset() doesn't get called.

I also differentiate between GET and POST requests so I can use the same
Action for form display and processing (which, I suppose, is an arguable
practice ;)

I think what he's saying is that:
1) he's doing something similar
2) he wants the init to happen somewhere besides in his code (eg, I have
a method in a base Action that I override in my "real" Actions that deal
with custom stuff for form preparation, putting objects into the request
scope, etc.)

IOW, he wants a bit more XML to define when/what gets called on a GET
vs. POST.

Is that, more or less, right?

Dave