struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: new website look
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:04:54 GMT
Ted Husted on 27/10/05 14:03, wrote:
> On 10/26/05, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Personally I'm still in the Struts Classic camp at this point
>>in time, but thats because my day job has 4+ years worth of investment
>>in it and I havem't had time to evaluate the alternatives yet.
>

> It wouldn't surprise me to find that at least 80% of us are in that
> same boat :)
>
> I think the real question now is how soon teams will be ready to try
> Rich Internet Applications, including Ajax, and what is going to be
> the best RIA choice when a Struts Classic team is ready switch.

Do you really think RIA is going to be so big?

When I surf using my Handspring Treo mobile, I really appreciate
websites that are lean and technically elegant and display on my screen.
I can't even run javascript, so any RIAs are no-go for my mobile.

I can't see javascript being implemented on this type of browser for a
long time either.

Plus there is always the issue that user interaction design is still in
its infancy, and many people and companies and websites haven't grasped
the basics of it for simple websites, let alone RIAs.

Anyway I cant see how RIAs in browsers are going to make any difference
to server-side architecture. They still have to deal with HTTP even if
they hide it from the user.

All pure hypothesising of course.

Adam