struts-user mailing list archives

From "Balasubramaniam, Sezhiyan" <sbalasubraman...@ebay.com>
Subject Excel Download - Multilingual Data
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:02:00 GMT
Hi,

In one of our STRUTS Application, we provide excel download for the
users in worldwide.

We get all the data from data layer and write that string-buffer into
the client using the content type as follows.

response.setContentType("application/ms-excel;");

                        response.setHeader(

                              "Content-Disposition",

                              "attachment; filename=\"Sample.xls\";");

BufferedWriter out = new BufferedWriter(response.getWriter());

out.write(dataBuffer.toString());

out.close();

The issue is some of the German users having the regional settings for
decimal numbers as comma and they set the browser locale also as German.

When we send the locale-formatted-data to the client side (excel),
everything looks good.

Other side, some of the German users has the control-panel ->
regional-settings for decimal numbers as comma but they set the browser
locale as English.

So when we send the browser-based-locale-formatted-data to the client
side (excel), data getting screwed up. Because we send English numbers
and the excel expects the German data.

Question is, is there anyway we can detect the client Regional setting
in our STRUTS server side?

Other question is, can we set the data-category for the excel columns
when we send the response to the client side (always the data going as
Number-General)

I know that this is not cent percent related with STRUTS, but as we have
many gurus in this forum with multi-lingual app background, I thought of
getting the advice.

Thanks in advance.