struts-user mailing list archives

From "David G. Friedman" <hum...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject RE: [Hibernate] Who owns the problem?
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:17:16 GMT
Murray,

I'm with Martin.  I'd be more likely to skip your call to createQuery():

session.createQuery("from com.pancakes.website.controller.form.SectionForm
order by seq").list();

And instead use something like this:

session.find("from SectionForm s order by s.seq").list();

Why?  You shouldn't need the full name and createQuerys are best used if you
have to do things like set parameters, choose min or max results, and so
forth.  Since I'm not seeing that in your query, I recommend using find().
Plus, you shouldn't need the full class name unless you have two object
classes named SectionForm but in different packages.  On top of that, I
recommend putting your query in an XML file as a "Named Query" so you can
update it without having to recompile your java code, should the need ever
arise. Also, you should probably re-read the Hibernate 2.0 (still relevant
in 2.1 and 3.0) tutorial chapter on manipulating data which covers gets,
saves, updates, and the various query types at the url:

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/manipulatingdata.html

Regards,
David