struts-user mailing list archives

From "Preston CRAWFORD" <Preston.Crawf...@state.or.us>
Subject Re: Getting at exceptions in Action Classes when forwardedfromweb.xml?
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 22:10:11 GMT
Even then, is there any way to get at the exception at self so it gets
printed? The problem is that when you setup web.xml to send it to an
action (I can't figure out a different way to do this that is fairly
simple) it's almost like the app server swallows it for the most part
and passes little information to the action. I can do things like pass
along the number of the error in the querystring...

    <error-page>
        <error-code>404</error-code>
        <location>/error.do?exception=404</location>
    </error-page>

But other than that I can't figure out how to get at the actual
exception so I can log that.

Preston

>>> ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com 10/3/2005 2:33:16 PM >>>
Preston CRAWFORD on 03/10/05 21:47, wrote:
> I'm trying to setup global exception handling. I have web.xml
sending
> 404 and 500 exceptions to /error.do. In that action I should be able
> get at the exception, shouldn't I? Or do I have to do that earlier
in
> the process? I simply want to get at the exception and log it.

I don't think you can. The response object is write-only, so there is
no
way to tell.

I might be grossly mistaken but I guess you would have to have seperate

error-pages for each type of exception. Haven't tried it myself but
will
need to soon.

Adam