struts-user mailing list archives

From "Brian Holzer" <bhol...@sgi.sk.ca>
Subject Re: Why I Hate Struts Modules
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:08:27 GMT
Hey Paul or anyone else,
   Could you elaborate on Paul's  Berlin Wall comment.  We have just
started using modules, but haven't come across anything like this yet.

Thanks
Brian

>>> Paul Benedict <paul4christ79@yahoo.com> 11/10/2005 10:39:44 pm >>>
Great subject line, isn't it? :)

OK. I've been doing Struts for like 2-3 years now, and
Struts Modules I loved for awhile but now I absolutely
can't stand them....

First off, my initial appeal to modules was to split
up the configuration files so different developers can
work on the project without people waiting for
check-outs. That sounds like a good deal, but Modules
are MORE than splitting up configuration files - they
are these Berlin Walls kind of construction where
forms and actions can't be shared across them ....
unless you want to define them in multiple config
files.

See, after all these years, I really wanted was to
split files up. Modules don't gain me anything, do
they? I know (or I think) when Craig wrote Struts 0.x,
he had an action.xml which did something similar....
Now I could create file of just actions and use XML
ENTITIES to include them, but I never see people doing
that solution. Is it not well-known or frown upon?

So I am kind of sick of Struts modules. More so, now
that I have to declare my Struts global exception
handler in every config file!! This gets ridiculous
after 5 modules... and forget about it if you have a
project with 50 modules.

Too much configuration duplication.

__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the named addressee,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake
and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that using, disclosing, copying or distributing the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited.