struts-user mailing list archives

From Mark S Petrovic <m...@petrovic.org>
Subject Re: Newbie help with Struts idiom: functional if/else tags
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:01:11 GMT
Thank you for the reply.

Using, for example, <logic:equal> seems to solve only half the problem.
Using <logic:equal>, I can see my way clear to

<logic:equal name="feature" property="premium" value="true">
</logic:equal>
<logic:notEqual name="feature" property="premium" value="true">
</logic:notEqual>

which gives a crude if/else effect, but this is almost surely ill advised.
I think the same would apply to <c:if>, as I know of no "else" construct
that goes with either.

One could also perhaps use

<c:choose>
<c:when>
</c:when>
<c:otherwise>
</c:otherwise>
</c:choose>

which looks a bit better.

Thanks.

Mark

On 14Nov, Michael Jouravlev wrote:
> Use either Struts <logic:equal> or JSTL <c:if> or bare scriptlet. In
> your particular case you can make the decision in the bean itself. Do
> not print HTML tags from Java, this produces unmaintable and
> unportable code.
>
> Michael.
>
> On 11/14/05, Mark S Petrovic <mark@petrovic.org> wrote:
> > Good day.  I am new to Struts, and while I am coming up to speed, I'm
> > still struggling with what are surely common idioms.
> >
> > In a JSP, I want to output, say, a <td> element body conditionally based
> > on a given bean property.
> >
> > In pseudocode, I want
> >
> > if bean.property == true
> >    print <td> X </td>
> > else
> >    print <td> Y </td>
> >
> > I examined the Struts Logic tags, but found no if/else construct, and
> > I suspect there is a good reason for this.
> >
> > Does Struts culture encourage me to somehow move the solution into the
> > bean itself, or is there a informed, stylish way to deal with this in
> > the JSP?
> >
> > Thank you.

Mark Petrovic
Pasadena, CA  USA