struts-user mailing list archives

From Mike Duffy <mduffy_li...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JSF Interface Design - Is it Truly Limited?
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:43:23 GMT
There is a difference between specifying CSS attributes and creating a liquid CSS design.
The
later involves a complete separation of style and content where a web page or JSP becomes
a series
of <div> tags that flow; a single style sheet can be used to change the look and feel
of the
entire application.  In a liquid CSS design, tables are only used for displaying tabular data.

In the "old days", complex web interfaces were based on an elaborate layout of tables, nested
tables and nested tables within nested tables.  In liquid CSS design, the creation of complex
web
interfaces is much simpler and far more elegant.  If you look at a page created with nested
tables
and another created with liquid CSS design there is a definite aesthetic difference.    Also,
because <div>s are easily manipulated, rich interfaces based on AJAX are much easier
to create
using <div> tags.

In JSF, if the layout is restricted to panel grids and panel groups, the design will be table
based.  In theory, the advantage of this approach is that multiple renderers (HTML, Swing,
etc.)
can make the application functional in different contexts.

In a JSF page, the <f:view> tag can contain <div> and other HTML tags.  So in
theory, you could
have a JSF application that encompasses liquid CSS design.  I'd like to ask a question of
the JSF
experts who monitor this list:  Is it considered "bad form" to use <div> tags within
the <f:view>
tag?

Like many of the subscribers to this list, I have been struggling with the decision of whether
or
not to make the jump to JSF.  After reading the Geary/Hortstmann book and many articles
(http://www.jamesholmes.com/JavaServerFaces/), and reviewing the work being done on Shale
(http://struts.apache.org/shale/), I think it is time.  The promise of JSF is real.

As someone who started out mapping form fields by using CGI and Perl, I am very thankful for
the
contributions made by those who created and maintained Struts.  I sincerely hope that Struts
can
find a good home in the country where it can run and play in the warm sunshine.

Mike