struts-user mailing list archives

From Mark S Petrovic <m...@petrovic.org>
Subject Re: Newbie help with Struts idiom: functional if/else tags
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:34:23 GMT
I know I'll look back on this learning curve with a head-slapping
recollection, but until then, for posterity:

1.  If I remove the taglib directive in the JSP, the various <c:> tags
are copied directly into the html output, with the browser doing its
best to just ignore them.  The plaintext tag body content is actually
rendered, again, the result of the browser doing its best with what it
considers unknown markup.

2.  When I put the taglib directive back in, the JSP compiles and
subsequently does something with the <c:> tag directives, as the tags are
no longer copied into the resultant html and the default <c:otherwise>
always seems to execute.  Nor do I receive any exception output in the
browser or in the catalina.out logfile.

Whatever is misconfigured in my app is not a completely fatal situation:
I just can't get at the scripting variables to do meaningful operations
on them.

On 15Nov, Mark Petrovic wrote:
> On 15Nov, Dave Newton wrote:
> > Mark S Petrovic wrote:
> >
> > >which isn't even iterating over the list items.  E.g, I get one line of
> > >html output for the <c:out value="${feature.premium}"/> tag, containing
> > >the string literal '${feature.premium}' in quotes - as if expansion of
> > >${feature.premium} is not taking place.
> > >

> > You're using the JSP taglib directive? You have all the necessary JARs
> > for JSTL? J2EE version your app server implements?
>
> 1. The JSP has the following taglib directive
>
> <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" %>
>
> 2. In my WEB-INF/lib directory I have files and checksums
>
> 1677728891 20682 webapps/mx/WEB-INF/lib/jstl.jar
> 1935831951 393259 webapps/mx/WEB-INF/lib/standard.jar
>
> from the TagLibs Standard 1.1.2 binary distrbution
>
> 3. I'm using Apache Tomcat/5.5.12.

Mark Petrovic
Pasadena, CA  USA