struts-user mailing list archives

From "Leahy, Kevin" <Kevin.Le...@drkw.com>
Subject RE: Newbie help with Struts idiom: functional if/else tags
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:52:24 GMT
Hi

I had a similar problem a while back and found that using this instead
worked:

<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" prefix="c" %>

I don't know why.

Might be worth a try.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark S Petrovic [mailto:mark@petrovic.org]
Sent: 15 November 2005 16:34
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Newbie help with Struts idiom: functional if/else tags

I know I'll look back on this learning curve with a head-slapping
recollection, but until then, for posterity:

1.  If I remove the taglib directive in the JSP, the various <c:> tags are
copied directly into the html output, with the browser doing its best to
just ignore them.  The plaintext tag body content is actually rendered,
again, the result of the browser doing its best with what it considers
unknown markup.

2.  When I put the taglib directive back in, the JSP compiles and
subsequently does something with the <c:> tag directives, as the tags are no
longer copied into the resultant html and the default <c:otherwise> always
seems to execute.  Nor do I receive any exception output in the browser or
in the catalina.out logfile.

Whatever is misconfigured in my app is not a completely fatal situation:
I just can't get at the scripting variables to do meaningful operations on
them.

On 15Nov, Mark Petrovic wrote:
> On 15Nov, Dave Newton wrote:
> > Mark S Petrovic wrote:
> >
> > >which isn't even iterating over the list items.  E.g, I get one
> > >line of html output for the <c:out value="${feature.premium}"/>
> > >tag, containing the string literal '${feature.premium}' in quotes -
> > >as if expansion of ${feature.premium} is not taking place.
> > >

> > You're using the JSP taglib directive? You have all the necessary
> > JARs for JSTL? J2EE version your app server implements?
>
> 1. The JSP has the following taglib directive
>
> <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" %>
>
> 2. In my WEB-INF/lib directory I have files and checksums
>
> 1677728891 20682 webapps/mx/WEB-INF/lib/jstl.jar
> 1935831951 393259 webapps/mx/WEB-INF/lib/standard.jar
>
> from the TagLibs Standard 1.1.2 binary distrbution
>
> 3. I'm using Apache Tomcat/5.5.12.

Mark Petrovic
Pasadena, CA  USA

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3166