struts-user mailing list archives

From Ronald Holshausen <ugl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JSF Interface Design - Is it Truly Limited?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:58:00 GMT
I use Shale, Tiles and MyFaces. The main reason for moving over is
that JSF is being pushed by Sun as the standard for J2EE user
interfaces, and is getting picked up by some of the big companies like
Oracle, so I think it will gain a lot of momentum and support from
most vendors. I also like the fact that your backing java beans don't
need to implement any interfaces or extend base classes, which leaves
your presentation java code more independent of the JSF APIs.

On 14/11/05, pc leung <pingcheungl@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Ronald
>
> I am also thinking of switching to JSF. Do you use Shale, MyFaces or Sun JSF?
> Any reasons your company starts to use JSF as I am standing at the
> cross road of Struts and JSF?
>
> Thanks
>

> On 11/14/05, Ronald Holshausen <uglyog@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > I have switched from struts to JSF for our companies product
> > development, as I can say that JSF is totally CSS oriented. Each
> > control has a CSS class as a property, and a lot of the tomahawk
> > components provide their own base CSS classes by default (have a look
> > at the tabbed pane from tomahawk as an example).
> >
> > I agree with you about the mock-ups. With our development, the process
> > starts with the graphic artists who do the demos and new product
> > concepts in pure html and CSS with tools like Dreamweaver, etc. Then
> > the developers convert the HTML to JSPs and write the backing java.
> > This works the same with struts and JSF.
> >
> > Have a look at the clay component from shale, as this supports this
> > type of development process more fully as you could then use the
> > generated HTML from the graphic artists directly, just add some ids
> > much like Tapestry does.

> > > " is

Sun

> > > I think that if you take a better look at JSF, you might see Struts, Spring
and a reusable visual component framework.  To see this you have to look beyond the basic
semantics.  So, maybe a forward is called a navigation rule and validation is component based
verses form based.

> > > I've always seen Struts as building blocks for the rest of the application.
 It provides the foundation, a starting point.  Each shop seems to pick and choose different
extension points to exploit.
> > > JSF provides the same model where extension points in the framework are configured
via a configuration file.  The framework guts can be swapped with a side of a configuration
files.  JSF expands on this by providing an API for building visual components that have characteristics
of event oriented programming in a request response architecture.  The component API is a
starting point.

> > > The fact that the reference implementation delivers a number of vanilla components
is a strength but maybe a weakness.  The component API should be seen as building blocks and
not as absolute offering.  I don't think that Struts would have lead as many projects to success
if the developers could not have seen how to take advantage of is swappable parts.

JSF is

> > > You might take a look at the Shale "rolodex" usecases.  You will see some fun
CSS action delivered using a JSF view.  It's all done using only two custom components and
 a few JSF extension points, the rest is vanilla RI.