struts-user mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: The dreaded "Servlet action is not available"
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:40:18 GMT
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

> Here's a hint...
>
> Create the following two files in your webapp's classes folder with the
> following content:
>
> commons-logging.properties
> --------------------------
> org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog
>
> simplelog.properties
> --------------------
> org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog=debug

This did it! I have actual error messages being logged now, this is
awesome thank you!

> You will now be confronted with probably *FAR* more logging from Struts
> (and everything else) than you'd want... if your running under Tomcat
> for instance, you'll see virtually (if not actually) *everything* that
> happens in excrutiating detail.
>
> Especially when your having an app startup problem, like the OP is
> having, I've found this almost always points me in the right direction
> (you will see struts-config parse errors pretty clearly for example).

I dropped the log level from debug to error, and it showed up a problem
in struts-config.

Weirdly enough, *after* struts-config was fixed, suddenly the init()
method breakpoint on ActionServlet worked, go figure.

Regards,
Graham