struts-user mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <ted.hus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade from struts1.0 to 1.2
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:36:17 GMT
On 11/14/05, bhas <maillist@roomity.com> wrote:
> I was able to narrow down the reason for display of a blank page, basically struts 1.0
had
> perform() method that has been replaced with execute() method & since execute() methods
was
> missing in my action classes it was not displaying anything.... now getting some NullPointerException

We're being very careful about stepping changes like this through a
deprecate-release-remove cycle between each release series. Of course,
if you skip releases and try to go from 1.0 to 1.2, you'll miss two
series of deprecations and removals (1.0. to 1.1 and 1.1 to 1.2). Of
course, once the code is removed, the deprecation disappears, and you
end up with "missing link" code. :)

It might be worthwhile to upgrade one release at a time, and respond
to any deprecations warning on one release series (1.1) before moving
on to the next (1.2). This advice could become more important as
people to try to go from 1.0 to 1.3.

-Ted.
.