struts-user mailing list archives

From Laurie Harper <lau...@holoweb.net>
Subject Re: Problems with "validwhen"
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:30:00 GMT
Mon Cab wrote:
> I am trying to use validwhen to make sure that
> validator only requires a valid State and Zip if the
> country selected is "United States".
>
> But I am getting required error messages from both
> state and zip when the form is submitted without these
> values.
>
> I am using the following config for validator:
>

> <field	property="state"
> 	depends="required,validwhen,mask">
>
> 	<var>
> 	  <var-name>test</var-name>
> 	  <var-value>(country=="United States")</var-value>
> 	</var>
> 	<var>
> 	  <var-name>mask</var-name>
> 	  <var-value>^[A-Z]{2}$</var-value>
> 	</var>
> </field>
>
> <field
> 	property="zip"
> 	depends="required,validwhen,mask">
>
> 	<var>
>  	  <var-name>test</var-name>
> 	  <var-value>(country=="United States")</var-value>
> 	</var>
>
> 	<var>
> 	  <var-name>mask</var-name>
>   	  <var-value>^\d{5}$</var-value>
> 	</var>
>  </field>
>
> Is this wrong?  What should I be doing here?

You've specified a 'required' validation rule, so you're saying the
fields are always required. Remove the 'required' and change your test
to '(country != "United States") or (*this* != null)'. See the
documentation on validwhen [1].

L.

[1]
http://struts.apache.org/struts-doc-1.2.x/userGuide/dev_validator.html#validwhen