struts-user mailing list archives

From Bart Busschots <b...@cs.nuim.ie>
Subject Re: Some questions
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:50:55 GMT
Mário Lopes wrote:
> Hi.
>
> First off, a little bit of my background. I've been developing with
> Java for a long time now. None of it was web based development. On
> this field, I've programmed with PHP, .NET, Ruby on Rails, Python,
> etc..
>
> Now that I'm encharged of developing a Java/JSP/Servlets application I
> had to decide about a framework to ease my life. It had to have a
> strong MVC pattern to enforce organization. So I picked Struts :-)
>
> Now that I've given it a test drive, some questions arose:
>
> 1) I tried using Eclipse, as I've always did, for developing. What IDE
> do you suggest?

I've never used Eclipse. I like using jEdit with the various Java
Extensions installed. I very much doubt it's better than eclipse though.
I just like it because I use it a lot and have done for a long time.
> 2) I noticed that each time I did a simple change I had to build with
> ant to package a .war and then restart Tomcat to recognize it. Tomcat
> takes 20 secs to load which is absolutely unbearable. Is there a more
> agile way of doing things?

On my development server I set up a context for my project that is
re-loadable and rather than getting my build script to create a war file
I just get it to compile the lot and then copy it all to the context's
folder. Tomcat then notices that the files in that context have changed
and just re-loads them. I find it a lot quicker than having to start and
stop Tomcat.

To do this just create a folder with the name if the web app in
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps (for this example lets use test_app) and then
create an XML file in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/ with the
same name as the folder you just made but with a .xml extension and then
add contents like this:

<Context path="/test_app" docBase="test_app" override="true"
privileged="true" reloadable="true"></Context>

Remembering of course to repalce test_app with the name of the folder
you created.

Hope that's of some help,

Bart.