struts-user mailing list archives

From Bart Busschots <b...@cs.nuim.ie>
Subject Re: Controlling external process with struts
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:00:08 GMT
Hi Andreas,

Like any other web server a Java based web server use the Common Gateway
Interface (or CGI) for sending information between the client and the
server. This is a request-response protocol which is driven by the
client and not the server. What you are trying to do is have the server
push information to the client and ask the client for information when
the server wants it. CGI was just not made for that hence I'd very
strongly advise you not to waste your time on struts or anything like
that for this problem, what ever you come up with will be a hack at best
and will most probably work poorly and un-reliably.

If you absolutely must stay within the web environment I'd suggest using
an applet as the front end and using TCP/IP sockets for the
communication between the server and the client, that way the server can
easily push and pull from the client which is exactly what CGI was not
designed to allow you to do.

Best of luck with this,

Bart.