struts-user mailing list archives

From Bart Busschots <b...@cs.nuim.ie>
Subject Re: Controlling external process with struts
Date Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:10:01 GMT
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Bart Busschots wrote:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Like any other web server a Java based web server use the Common Gateway
>> Interface (or CGI) for sending information between the client and the
>> server. This is a request-response protocol which is driven by the
>> client and not the server. What you are trying to do is have the server
>> push information to the client and ask the client for information when
>> the server wants it.
>>

> What I'd like to do is:
> Client starts an application, which begins to run and sending output. This
> output is parsed and formated by the webserver before it is sended. If
> there is a request for an user, there will be some input-forms created, so
> the user can react. Meanwhile, struts has to hold the application running
> (waiting for input) in the background, while the user responds to the
> questions. This should be best cgi: Browser started a request and it got
> an answer on which the user responds with a request again. And so on.
>
> The tricky question is:
> Can struts send data to the client (after they have been requested from
> the client), during they are produced or begins the sending of data when
> all data is existing which is to send? Which classes could be used best to
> reach this approach? Is it possible to achieve this behavior with the
> action-class?

I really don't think Java is a good language for this kind of thing.
Shelling out from Java is messy and not really that powerful from my
experience. I don't know of any mechanism in Java for interacting with
another process in the way you are looking for. My gut feeling would be
that Perl is a better language for this kind of thing.
> I thought about an applet too, but this seems to be very expensive for now.

How do you mean "expensive"?

Bart.