struts-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andihartm...@freenet.de>
Subject Re: Controlling external process with struts
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:34:08 GMT
Hello Bart,

Bart Busschots wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Bart Busschots wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andreas,
>>>
>>> Like any other web server a Java based web server use the Common Gateway
>>> Interface (or CGI) for sending information between the client and the
>>> server. This is a request-response protocol which is driven by the
>>> client and not the server. What you are trying to do is have the server
>>> push information to the client and ask the client for information when
>>> the server wants it.
>>>

>> What I'd like to do is:
>> Client starts an application, which begins to run and sending output. This
>> output is parsed and formated by the webserver before it is sended. If
>> there is a request for an user, there will be some input-forms created, so
>> the user can react. Meanwhile, struts has to hold the application running
>> (waiting for input) in the background, while the user responds to the
>> questions. This should be best cgi: Browser started a request and it got
>> an answer on which the user responds with a request again. And so on.
>>
>> The tricky question is:
>> Can struts send data to the client (after they have been requested from
>> the client), during they are produced or begins the sending of data when
>> all data is existing which is to send? Which classes could be used best to
>> reach this approach? Is it possible to achieve this behavior with the
>> action-class?
>>
> I really don't think Java is a good language for this kind of thing.
> Shelling out from Java is messy and not really that powerful from my
> experience.

Yes, it's much easier with perl to communicate with external processes,
you are certainly right. But it should work with java, too. A first try
makes me hopeful to solve this problem.

I thought some more time about growing output - it is no more a must but
nice to have feature.

> I don't know of any mechanism in Java for interacting with
> another process in the way you are looking for. My gut feeling would be
> that Perl is a better language for this kind of thing.
>> I thought about an applet too, but this seems to be very expensive for now.
>>
> How do you mean "expensive"?

It needs too much time to code it for now. Additionally, there are
dependencies to the client (installed java version) which I really want to
avoid.

> Bart.

Kind regards,
Andreas Hartmann