struts-user mailing list archives

From Maya menon <maya_j...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tags in struts
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:30:54 GMT
Thanks Adam.

  Yes, I have a bean lets say, Testbean with two Collections.

  I have to display the value of these Collections[has objects] in a select box in my JSP.

  Can you send me the sample code please ?

  Maya

Adam Gordon <adam.gordon@readytalk.com> wrote:

> In my JSP I have a textbox and two list boxes[which can display
> multiple values].
>
> From my database, I have an object [a data object], ListData with
> following information returning
> string result;
> Vector itemList; //list of object 1
> ArrayList itemList1; //list of object 2
>
> In my JSP, I have th reference to ListData object, I know I can use
>
>> bean:write and get result.
>>

> Now, for getting fields within the arraylists, is there any tag which
> I can use ?

Yes and no, depending on your desired implementation. Probably the
easiest way I've found is to use the LabelValueBean object and construct
a java.util.List of these objects from your model data. Then, following
the example at http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsWidgets, you can use
the html:optionsCollection element and the "value" and "label"
attributes to retrieve the value and display name (two separate things)
of the item selected in the listbox.

Since I just implemented this late last week, I can post an example if
you'd like...it's pretty straight forward once you grasp how to use it
(although, it was this last part that took me a while too...)

Alternatively, check out the Radio Group section of the above listed
URL, it provides an example using logic:iterate and bean:write but I
don't think it allows for different bean getters...someone please
correct me if I'm wrong.

> I have to
> -> iterate thru the list, which gets me another dataobject with getter
> method.
> -> then use dataobject's property
>
> its like a vector inside an object. Any ideas ?

So, if I understand you correctly, you have a bean Foo with a method
getBar() that returns a Collection? If so, you'll want to just set an
attribute on the request with the result of that getter method as I
don't think there's a way to handle it otherwise. I did this last week
also, so if you want, I can post that code as well.

-Adam