struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Struts and AJAX
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:47:06 GMT
draegoon Z wrote:
> That CodeExecuter is nice!

Thanks!  The interesting thing is that as of beta5, it doesn't matter
what response handler you use, the script blocks will ALWAYS be
executed.  That's why there's a seemingly superfluous DoNothing
handler... you may want to use that instead of CodeExecuter in some cases.

> About below, I'm talking about when my MyForm (extends ActionForm, not
> Action) returns
> an ActionErrors object as it is configured in the example struts-config
> below.
>
> Like if "to"  parameter was supposed to be a valid email address and
> someone
> entered: blah blah blah
>
> Will this be handled normally, like a Non-Ajax struts action app,
> returning the
> input mapping to display the errors, or whatever else.

That's what I kinda thought you meant :)  I got confused because you
showed an action mapping... anyway... if you took an existing Struts app
that handled this, then no, APT would probably not work right...
although it still could... imagine if the page that the input JSP
renders is displayed in an iFrame... in that case, you could use the
std:IFrame handler to re-render it, so you wouldn't have to change a
thing about your app.  Likewise, you could display it in a <div> and get
the same effect.

However, more than likely your app isn't built this way today, so it
wouldn't work unaltered.  What you would more than likely do is copy the
action mapping that uses that MyForm, and change the input attribute to
point to a JSP that renders just a snippet of markup displaying the
error.  Then, insert that markup into a <div> using std:InnerHTML, or
maybe pop it in an alert() with std:Alerter, etc.  This way, you kind of
have a "parallel" action mapping, one for the AJAX request, one for the
regular form submission (I've done this in a proof of concept by the
way, it works great).

> -Joe

Frank