struts-user mailing list archives

From "Martin Kindler" <kindl...@arcor.de>
Subject AW: Model 3?
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:04:06 GMT
Hi Artem,

this is an interesting question.
Some years ago I was involved in the design of a system which used a XML and
XSLT to translate the content to various output formats (not only
XML-based). It was an elegant solution but also a hard way to go.

I have been developing a multiclient site for the last months and your
proposal might have been a solution.
I decided against it (and now use several sets of JSPs) for the following
reasons:

- having a common (XML-) format and afterwards transforming it to the real
thing is one step more in the pipeline.
It slows down the process (which might be amended with some sort of caching,
but then you have an additional development effort) and the effort to
maintain the XSLT translators is not less than the effort needed for the
JSPs.

- you got to use (yet) another programming language (XSLT) which I do not
like (I do not like having more languages in my project, I do not oppose to
XSLT).

- I cannot see where you save any logic in the actions (or in the
controller). The controller has to maintain the objects
which will be presented to the user anyway.

Thus I couldn't see any advantage in this solution. I have one set of JSPs
per client. Otherwise I would have the same number of translators per
client.

Martin