struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upgrading Struts 1.0
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 00:09:29 GMT
Within the 1.x series, we've made each subsequent release
backwardly-compatible with the last, but only with the last. With each
release, some members were deprecated, and in the next release
removed.

The most efficient approach might be to upgrade the binaries one
release at a time. Recompile, note any deprecation warnings, and
address the warnings until it builds clean, and then go onto the next.
Depending on how the application was written, jumping ahead might
work, but it might also be a frustrating exercise, since 1.3.5 isn't
going to know about things we removed in 1.1. Better to take it one
step at a time.

If you don't have any UI tests on hand, I'd take this opportunity to
create some. The Selenium package is quite good.

* http://www.openqa.org/selenium/

You can quickly record a series of UI tests, and then play them back
during the upgrade.

-Ted.