struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts 2 View : FreeMarker or Velocity
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:58:46 GMT
>From a framework perspective, it's not a difference that makes a
difference. The same with choosing between JSP and Freemarker or
Velocity. The Struts Tags supports all three views equally, and we
keep the door open for XLST and other alternatives.

So, from a development perspective, it's a straight-up choice of which
system *you* want to use. Of course, Freemarker has something to say
about it.

* http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/fmVsVel.html

And you can google up quite a few more links like these.

One hint: If you do try Freemarker, I'd suggest going with the
"alternate" syntax, that uses square braces instead of angle brackets.
The advantage is that the FM markup is not confused with HTML markup.
I find that the alternate syntax works *much* better in standard IDEs.

* http://freemarker.org/docs/dgui_misc_alternativesyntax.html

I remain surprised that there is not a IDEA plugin for FM (or W2/S2)
... If only I had the bandwidth ...

-Ted.

--
HTH, Ted.