struts-user mailing list archives

From "Strachan, Paul" <Paul.Strac...@det.nsw.edu.au>
Subject RE: Design issue
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2007 03:49:57 GMT
Hi,

I usually access my cached droplist data directly from the jsp - eg have placed a bean called
"ReferenceDataCache" on application scope with getter methods. In jsp I can simply call:

<c:set var="schoolList" value="${ReferenceDataCache.schoolsList}" />

I also try to keep my struts forms only containing properties for the http posted data.

The controllers responsibility is dealing with http requests (flow control, forwarding to
the correct action etc) so I'm not quite sure what you mean by saying "the jsp tag actually
by pass the
controller to get the data from Datasource"

Additionally, specialized data can be added as request attributes, either via your action/helper
class or some sort of page controller (tiles has this feature) - the idea behind a page controller
(view tier) is your page knows what data it needs, and your jsps are not tied to your actions
- in an ideal world you could reuse your jsps without having to change much (or if any) backend
java code.

Sometimes action classes/methods contain far to much business logic which including supplying
data necessary for the view - even if you decide to forward to a different page your action
is still preparing data for a page that no longer needs it!

Just my 2c

Regards,
Paul