struts-user mailing list archives

From Oren Livne <oli...@aoce.utah.edu>
Subject Re: Two Struts validation problems
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2007 23:54:53 GMT
Dear Ed:

Thanks so much for your response (all other that replied -- thanks so
much as well!).
For now, I would like to stick to the first solution: ActionForm with
String properties.
I already have VOs and don't mind copying over from the form to the VO
and back.
My last question on this issue is: if I use BeanUtils.copyProperties(vo,
form) where
I have a form.field : String and vo.field : int (same name, different
type) and have
validated the form so that I know form.field is convertible to an int,
would copyProperties()
do that for me? Is that what I should be using (and not
PropertyUtils.copyProperties())?

Thanks so much,
oren

Ed Griebel wrote:
> Chris is right, the zero occurs in the java.lang.Integer(String)
> constructor when it is passed a non-numeric string value. You would
> see this happen in your ActionForm and action class if you weren't
> using the validator. The same thing happens with a non-numeric in a
> java.lang.Double(String) constructor.
>
> For Struts 1.x, the question of Strings vs. native types in formbeans
> comes up about every 6 months, judging from the questions this week it
> seems it's that time again. The general consensus is that Strings
> preserve incorrect input for redisplay and don't do "mysterious"
> conversions like above, but if native types are used then the formbean
> can also be used as a data transfer object for the database layer,
> removing a set of DTO (a.k.a. DO, VO, etc) classes. Of course, using
> LazyDynaBeans and their ilk let you have the best of both worlds :-)
>
> -ed
>
> On 3/3/07, Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Oren Livne, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor of Mathematics
RUReady Software Architect

Academic Outreach and Continuing Education
1901 East South Campus Dr., Room 2197-D
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9399
Tel  : (801) 581-6831     Cell: (801) 631-3885     Fax: (801) 585-5414
Email: olivne@aoce.utah.edu              Web:  http://ruready.net/oren