struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Can we *please* havea seperate Struts *2* - User list?
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:58:57 GMT
I think the thought behind not splitting the lists to this point is that
Apache experience has been that it tends to divide a community rather
than direct traffic in a more granular way.  The idea is that a Struts
user is a Struts user regardless of version, and those that may not be
using S2 today (yours truly included for the most part) may well be
using it tomorrow... a person can get a leg-up just by keeping an eye on
the S2 posts (I know that's true for me).  One could always subscribe to
multiple lists of course, but in terms of community, a single united
list theoretically at least yields more synergy.  This is my
interpretation of things I've seen stated in the past (I happen to agree
with it too :) ).  Maybe the thinking is different now by those who are
in a position to change things, I don't know.

As for a forum, I seem to remember Apache infrastructure not supporting
it, and I also seem to remember something about Apache projects not
(directly at least) using outside resources... others more knowledgeable
than I would have to answer this though... I can't off the top of my
head think of any other Apache project that has a forum that is
officially linked to the project.  As a personal opinion, I'm not sure I
see the benefit of a forum vs. a mailing list, they seem pretty well
even to me, maybe a slight edge to the mailing list since it goes to my
mail client... I could see a good argument though for a forum that
supplies an RSS feed too.

Frank

Antony Stubbs wrote:
> Well it might have made sense if struts 2 issues were somehow applicable to
> struts 1, but they're mostly not.
>
> For Struts 2 to be adopted, it needs to be clearly separated from struts 1,
> as is the code base. This includes having clearly separate support to make
> it as easy as possible to find help. It's not like it's we want a struts 1.5
> list. 2 is very different from 1.
>
> What's the mentality for keeping them jumbled together?
>
> I suppose you don't see a separate mailing list for every major tapestry
> release, but this is a case of adopting the best process that fit's the
> situation, and in this situation the lists should be seperate IMO.
>

> Dave Newton-4 wrote:
>> --- Antony Stubbs <antony.stubbs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This list seems to be quite busy, and I think
>>> everyone would benefit hugely from separating out
>> the
>>> two frameworks for obvious reasons. Actually I'm
>>> surprised this hasn't been done already.
>> It's been brought up (even by me) in the past; I still
>> agree and would vote for separation if it was votable.
>>
>> d.

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies