struts-user mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [S2] JSTL Advice Experience
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 15:31:35 GMT
On 6/1/07, Zoran Avtarovski <zoran@sparecreative.com> wrote:
> I was wondering what people's experience has been with using JSTL as opposed
> to OGNL with regards to performance. I saw the Wiki entry for the
> ActionPropertyExportInterceptor but I'm concerned it may have to big a
> performance hit, essentially copying the value stack elements to the request
> scope.
>
> The reason I ask is that we are using Tomcat 6 with jsp 2.1 which is
> fantastic and the expression language is what it should be. Along comes S2
> and OGNL and another expression language to use, combined with freemarker
> for templates... You can see where I'm heading.
>
> I'm finding most things about S2 absolutely great. But, the display
> component is driving me nuts. My ideal would be to use JSP for everything
> (display, templates, etc), but some posts have indicated serious performance
> issues.

Do you mean "use the Unified EL for everything"  - rather than "JSP" ?
Sounds like a good plan to me (from a non-S2 user) since the unified
EL[1][2] is no longer dependant on JSP. The Tomcat project has
recently published its EL implementation on the maven repos - so
theres a license compatible version available[3][4].

Niall

[1] http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/reference/techart/unifiedEL.html
[2] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=245
[3] http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org/apache/tomcat/el-api/