struts-user mailing list archives

From AbelMacAdam <abel.maca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taglib not seen, no text fields?
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:16:59 GMT

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for taking the time for this extensive answer. I will try to answer
the questions you pose

Alberto A. Flores wrote:

> How are you building your application? It sounds like you are not using
> maven (I highly recommend it so you avoid many problem). Now, a couple
> of things about this post:

Sorry, I'm bootstrapping. I have seen maven mentioned, but are too new to
*also* include maven. I might have maven installed, but am not actively
using it.

- The error you are referring, is it an error in Eclipse or during
> deployment? Two BIG different things.
The error I mentioned is the one I see in Eclipse. The result I describe (no
text fields or submit button) is what I observe in Tomcat. The relation
between the two is made by myself.

- If Eclipse doesn't recognize the struts 2 tag, it's because you have
> not included the strut2-*.jar files in the classpath.
It could very well be that I forgot to add the Struts-specific jar files to
the classpath. As I threw the diretory away after I continued with following
examples I now have a hard time to recreate the problem.

 Please check the
> documentation of Eclipse if you are not familiar how to do that. Since
> the way URI resolution has changed through out the different JSP
> versions, Eclipse will resolve the URI according to the following
> heuristic (see link -
> http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jst/components/jsp/designs/taglibindex/taglibindex.html)

Will do. the document is now rolling off the printer.

> Please keep in mind that the fact that it resolves in Eclipse is no
> indication that it will resolve during deployment (unless you have a
> good development environment that mimics your deployment jars)

No such luck. The error message is gone in Eclipse, but the input boxes and
submit button are still gone in Tomcat.

> - Depending on the container that you are using, you don't need to use
> web.xml at all (tld file should be within the jar file and the container
> should know where to look for it)

Strangely enough, the taglib was not in web.xml, but in a jsp.

> - What jars have you included? At a minimum you shouls have:
> struts-core-x.jar, xwork-x.jar, ognl-x.jar, freemarker-x.jar (x refers
> to the release, which may not be the same). These releases are easy to
> obtain if you use maven. If you don't then, when you download the struts
> 2 distribution, these should come. If you are learning, just copy *all*
> and learn what breaks as you take jar by jar off the lib directory.

As I had to recreate the example, I can not say what I had. But what you say
is sound advice. Put all eggs in the basket, and throw out all extraneous
ones until the last one breaks the application.

- If the textfield doesn't show, there may be many reasons for that to
> happen. Have you consider? (i) Not having all jars in the lib directory,
> (ii) your struts tag having a "name" attribute mapping to an unknown
> property. (iii) Have you looked at the produced HTML? (iv) Have you
> checked all logs?

So many places to check. As a newbie, I do not know where to check. But
hopefully in the future I will know (as a matter of fact, I already look in
the different log files of Tomcat and Apache, but can't find any interesting
tidbits pointing me to profound knowledge. But that's being a starter, I
think).
On your question of not having all jars in (Tomcats/)the lib directory: No.
Should I copy everything to Tomcat?
On your second question of my struts tag having an attribute to an unknown
property. I don't know. I think this is not the case, as I use the code of
the author and think this code is flawless (*famous last words of a
newbie*).

But as I said, the next example is not broken. So I will ponder on. But
thanks for your answer.
Abel

--

Alberto A. Flores