struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Gordon <adam.gor...@readytalk.com>
Subject Re: Configuring Struts to use UTF-8 character encoding
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:05:07 GMT
So, for posterity, we finally got this working.  After several days of
playing around with a sandbox Struts application that worked, but our
webapp that didn't, we finally realized that the ORDER of the filters
matters (duh...).  We put the character encoding filter first in our
chain and it fixed everything.

The problem was it was initially #3 in the chain and in filter #2 I was
reading parameters off the request to look for specific parameters to
mitigate another bug we'd found in production and apparently, whether by
design or otherwise, once you read parameters off the request setting
the character encoding afterwards appears to have no effect.  As
mentioned above, moving the character encoding filter to #1 in the chain
fixed it.