struts-user mailing list archives

From "Alberto A. Flores" <aaflo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taglib not seen, no text fields?
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:26:37 GMT
How are you building your application? It sounds like you are not using
maven (I highly recommend it so you avoid many problem). Now, a couple
of things about this post:

- The error you are referring, is it an error in Eclipse or during
deployment? Two BIG different things.

- If Eclipse doesn't recognize the struts 2 tag, it's because you have
not included the strut2-*.jar files in the classpath. Please check the
documentation of Eclipse if you are not familiar how to do that. Since
the way URI resolution has changed through out the different JSP
versions, Eclipse will resolve the URI according to the following
heuristic (see link -
http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jst/components/jsp/designs/taglibindex/taglibindex.html)
Please keep in mind that the fact that it resolves in Eclipse is no
indication that it will resolve during deployment (unless you have a
good development environment that mimics your deployment jars)

- Depending on the container that you are using, you don't need to use
web.xml at all (tld file should be within the jar file and the container
should know where to look for it)

- What jars have you included? At a minimum you shouls have:
struts-core-x.jar, xwork-x.jar, ognl-x.jar, freemarker-x.jar (x refers
to the release, which may not be the same). These releases are easy to
obtain if you use maven. If you don't then, when you download the struts
2 distribution, these should come. If you are learning, just copy *all*
and learn what breaks as you take jar by jar off the lib directory.

- If the textfield doesn't show, there may be many reasons for that to
happen. Have you consider? (i) Not having all jars in the lib directory,
(ii) your struts tag having a "name" attribute mapping to an unknown
property. (iii) Have you looked at the produced HTML? (iv) Have you
checked all logs?

--

Alberto A. Flores
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aflores