struts-user mailing list archives

From "Alberto A. Flores" <aaflo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: struts 2 vs struts 1+spring
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:23:17 GMT
This sounds like you need to ask this question in the Spring Forum, not
here. If you don't understand the value of Spring in your current app,
go ahead and try. Hopefully that will be illustrative. I can assure that
some of the things you will lose (if you are using at all) are not
provided in Struts (MVC) and Hibernate (persistence).

If you are following the typical scenario, here are some of the things
you would lose (that no Struts release will do):

- Transaction Management (if you are using Spring for this)
- AOP support
- Dependency Injection
- JNDI lookups
- Scalable security
- Simple programming model

I'm sure some other people can add more of their own. You must not
forget that at the end of the day, these are tools. You are welcome to
write you own version at your own expense :)

Joe Yuen wrote:
> Well, that's kind of the essence of the question. What would you loose if you did? It
seems to me that there is quite a bit over overlap  to Struts2 and Spring.