struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeromy Evans <jeromy.ev...@blueskyminds.com.au>
Subject Re: struts 2 vs struts 1+spring
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:49:19 GMT
Joe Yuen wrote:
> Well, that's kind of the essence of the question. What would you loose if you did? It
seems to me that there is quite a bit over overlap  to Struts2 and Spring.

No, there's no significant overlap between Struts2 and Spring (except
spring-mvc of course)

I'm not sure how to arrived at that conclusion, perhaps it was because
you saw that the Struts2 architecture uses an ObjectFactory and
Interceptors.
Struts2 can use any ObjectFactory implementation.  It does include a
default implementation but that's only used internally (eg. it will
create your actions but can't DI arbitrary objects into them).
The Spring plugin provides Spring as the ObjectFactory
The Guice plugin provide Guice as the ObjectFactory

The Struts2 interceptors are in no way related to Spring/AOP
interceptors.  They're for intercepting requests to actions only.

So in answer to your question, if you don't use Spring you'' lose all
the features of Spring.  If you don't use any specific features of
Spring then you don't need it.

Hope that helps,
 Jeromy Evans