struts-user mailing list archives

From "Al Sutton" <al.sut...@alsutton.com>
Subject RE: ExtJS Plugin for Struts2
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2007 07:40:39 GMT
ExtJS's license isn't directly compatible with Struts 2. Basically ExtJS
allows for three "free" uses (anything else costs);

1) Want to use Ext in an open source project that precludes using non-open
source software

- This isn't compatible because Struts 2 doesn't preclude using non-open
source software.

2) Plan to use Ext in a personal, educational or non-profit manner

- Struts 2 is used in commercial environments and any design decision or
development is done with the knowlege that it will potentially be used for a
for-profit purpose.

3) Are using Ext in a commercial application that is not a software
development library or toolkit

- Struts 2 isn't commercial and is a library.

I see the ExtJS guys allow for partnering, but I'm very warey of their
license model because it smells like something that is set up to do a MySQL
(i.e. get mass adoption and then change their model to charge anyone wanting
to use it in a commercial environment).