struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeromy Evans <jeromy.ev...@blueskyminds.com.au>
Subject Re: Feedback: WW-2414, XSS attack is possible if using <s:url ...> and <s:a ...>
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2008 05:11:43 GMT
I don't think this is a critical problem sheerly because the high
prevalence of such vulnerabilities means some of the responsibility
falls on the developer to not trust user-entered data..  The specific
vulnerability is that when includeParams != none, the request URL was
rendered unmodified within the HTML because the developer chose to use
it in an anchor.

I guess the proposal is that if encode=true, the entire URL query
section should be URL encoded and not just the additional parameters? Is
that right?

Interestingly, encoding may not completely eliminate the vulnerability.
In IE6 <a href="javascript%3Aalert%28%27hello%27%29"> doesn't execute
the javascript, but also doesn't issue the request for a page of that name.