struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <newton.d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Enum, TypeConversion and error handling
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2008 00:09:22 GMT
--- Adam Hardy <ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> Fresh from plugging in my first TypeConverter, I find that on the whole the
> TypeConversion mechanism in S2 is very good. After setting up a custom type
> converter, I thought I could chip in with a couple of comments:
>
> (1) where to register type converter

Which part was confusing? It says to put it in
ClassName-conversion.properties or the XWork conversion file.

> (2) S2 swallows exceptions in XworkConverter.  I couldn't figure out
> whether the type converter registration had even worked.

Well, putting logging in your convertor should have at least shown if your
conversion methods were being called, no?

When I was dinking around w/ convertors I occasionally would wrap my code
with Exception catches, but I agree that there are exceptions that are
difficult to get at under normal circumstances. This is on my list, but I'm
completely swamped right now.

> (2b) it was difficult to tell exactly what I should do in my TypeConverter
> to show the message that I really wanted when conversion failed.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

d.