struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [S2+AJAX]Which ajax libray did you use?
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:18:21 GMT
On Jan 17, 2008 7:07 AM, tzhang <zhjt80@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to Jeromy and Ted , your comments definitely help me a lot.
>
> I looked through the YUI website, the widgets are quite rich.
> I still concern about if I want to use the Struts2 + YUI, I have to know
> pretty much about the YUI , right? Is YUI easy to learn and use?  Since our
> developers don't know much about javascript.

It's not as much a matter of learning YUI as it is a matter of
learning the proper way to code in JavaScript. A good start there is
to go through the "Douglas Crockford — "The JavaScript Programming
Language" videos on the YUI theatre site.

 * http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/

(Really, do this today!)

Personally, I find creating interfaces in JavaScript to be much
simpler than wresting with server tags and scriplets. If we had in
1998 the JavaScript libraries and tools we have in 2008, server pages
and JSF would never have been invented.

As for YUI itself, my team was an early adopter of the DataTable (as
in the first beta). We ran into issues, but even as novice JavaScript
programmers, we never found an issue we couldn't patch  by reviewing
the code. Of course, having tools like FireBug that let you step
through the scripts makes a world of difference.

HTH, Ted
<http://www.StrutsMentor.com/>