struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <newton.d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic Results
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:39:58 GMT
--- stanlick@gmail.com wrote:
> I think if dynamic parameters are supported in the mappings,
> they should be supported whether the sample of documentation
> utilizes them or not.

It isn't the "mappings" that support dynamic parameters. It's the result
implementations.

What you are trying to say is that you would wish that all bundled result
types parse their parameters. I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

> Do you agree that bundled plug-ins should pass a
> baseline compatibility test?

I'm not sure what that means.

> I decompiled the ChartResult just now and it needs serious work.

You know the source is available, right?

>  I agree it allows Struts2 to work with JFreeChart in a couple
> minutes (which seems to correlate with the time spent writing
> the plug-in)

While in "real life" you actually *do* catch more flies with vinegar than
honey, it's suggested that when dealing with actual people you follow the
*spirit* of maxims such as this, necessitating the need to occasionally
ignore any underlying untruths. Your current tactic is sub-optimal.

Make a patch. File a JIRA. Update the documentation. I already did the
legwork for you in identifying which plugins may need to be changed, making
filing the JIRA that much easier and tracking down the Wiki pages that need
to be updated fairly trivial.

Dave