struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <newton.d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Struts1 forms with empty Strings
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:13:36 GMT
--- Andy <andrhahn@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to configure Struts1 so Form beans return
> null values instead of empty String values when a user does not enter data
> in a text field, for example.  The problem is that Hibernate then saves
> empty Strings to the database instead of nulls.  I would like to configure
> something globally if possible.

I don't know if this is possible without writing some code, like a request
processor; hopefully somebody else knows more. The issue is that a text field
on a form returns an empty string, not null: that's an HTTP thing, not Struts
specifically.

You could also configure Hibernate data types that convert an empty string in
to null and handle the problem on the Hibernate side; if you're using the
Hibernate code anywhere else it might be more useful to do it that way, but
it's borderline magic and might be confusing down the road.

Dave