struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Gordon <adam.gor...@readytalk.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: Dead code parser/finder for Struts
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:21:32 GMT
Dave-

Dude, it's bad.  They had a team of developers each with varying degrees
of experience which ranged from no knowledge of Struts/EL (those
developers used.....scriptlets.....*shudder*....) while others used
Struts/JSTL tags for almost everything when EL tags would not only have
sufficed but made the code cleaner and easier to read.  I recognize that
there's some duplicity across the Struts tag library and JSTL, but it's
like they found one way to do something and just ran with it, even if it
meant it wasn't appropriate to use in a given instance.  It got so bad
at the end, when a bug was filed to fix a validation problem in a form,
they just removed the alert box that said there was an error and checked
it in as the fix.

I know they used MyEclipse and based on the indention (or lack thereof)
in the JSP's I suspect they were at least partially computer generated
with some type of GUI builder because there's no way someone could write
JSPs like that by hand and not go mad.

I recognize that there's some duplicity across the Struts tag library
and JSTL, but it's like they found one way to do something and just ran
with it, even if it meant it wasn't appropriate to use in a given instance.

--adam