struts-user mailing list archives

From "Martin Gainty" <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [friday] Re: Struts2 vs JSF
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:46:45 GMT
interesting ...can you implement ajax functionality such as theme='ajax'
from dojo?

Martin-
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Clough" <ray@allthisisthat.com>
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [friday] Re: Struts2 vs JSF

I have quite a lot of experience with S2 and JSF which I'd like to share.
Although on many levels the technologies are different, we have managed to
make them work together with profound benefits to each.

First a caveat:  our use of JSF as served from S2 is in a limited fashion.
There are things we haven't tried because we haven't needed them.  There may
be things which wouldn't work with this technique.  Our use is primarily as
a reporting engine.  We use S2 to manage all the 'control' functions of the
MVC cycle.  There are no beans or navigation rules in the faces-config file.
We have produced a clear separation of the Model functionality from the
Struts functions, with Struts merely retrieving the model objects and
placing them into Session storage.  Then the model objects are queried from
a JSP page, which causes the model to 'export' itself to JSF components.
The model components have zero getters/setters, except a method 'getData()'
which triggers the export process, and returns a jsf 'UIComponent'.  The
export process consists of creating the JSF 'UIComponent' in code, very
similarly to the way you'd make pages in Swing (assuming that you are not
using a totally lame graphic page generator).  Then the completed component
is rendered by a single jsf tag on the page.  Any submittals, which in JSF
are to some funky url, are redirected by javascript to the correct S2 url.
This was the main problem until we figured out how to fix it.

When I started designing the app I envisioned using standard JSP
functionality to produce the pages, including the use of the S2 tags.
However I really hated the S2 tags (I still believe that they are somewhat
below horrible in the panoply of functionality).  A co-worker suggested
working around this with JSF, and as a result the app is much stronger than
I ever envisioned.

The app does not use the struts-jsf plugin, and also uses tiles, again not
using the struts-tiles plugin.  We have found that the use of these plugins
is really limiting, and we are much better off with independent
installations of both these functions in our app.  It would be nice to have
a good struts-jsf function, but my impression is that there is not much
being done with the plugin lately (I could be wrong, of course).  As it
works out, the configuration of all the services is quite demanding, but
perfectly straightforward once you have figured things out.

In short, we have had excellent results with JSF with S2.  We use the JSF
components from Trinidad, and they are first rate - with built in table
sorting, paging, etc all using Ajax behind the scenes.  S2 is a superior
'Control' component, but not really great at 'View'.  With the proper
approach, they are perfectly compatible.  (Too bad Shale seems moribund).

- Ray Clough
ray@allthisisthat.com

US,
> is a somewhat derogatory term for... uh... female parts).
>
> Turns out it was just a scene from the movie "Snatch", so it was all okay.
>
> Dave

- Ray Clough
ray@allthisisthat.com