struts-user mailing list archives

From Laurie Harper <lau...@holoweb.net>
Subject Re: Upgrade from Struts1.1 to Struts1.3.8- UnknownHostException: java.sun.com
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:57:49 GMT
Haroon Rasheed wrote:
> Recently I have upgraded from Struts 1.1 to Struts 1.3.8. I get the
> following exception during server-startup.( when I run Resin 3.1.3 -with out
> internet access).
>
> My Server starts successfully without any Struts issues if I've internet
> access.
>
> I checked for all the DTDs/XSDs & TLD files which have 'java.sun.com' as
> part of the URI.
>
> Currently I have the following TLD/DTD files presentunder \resin-
> pro-3.1.3\webapps\<my-app>\WEB-INF\tld
>
> [...]

You shouldn't need any TLD or DTD files in your WEB-INF folder.
Regardless, though, the issue is with one of your XML files referencing
a DOCTYPE that's not resolved, so it's your XML files you want to pay
attention to.

> I would like to know, which DTD/TLD/XSD file is causing ActionServlet-init
> to throw the following error. Recently while  I read at
> http://struts.apache.org/1.x/userGuide/installation-was352
> -x.html<http://struts.apache.org/1.x/userGuide/installation-was352-x.html>

WAS != Resin, so I don't know how relevant that document would be to
your case.

> For whatever reason, some installations do not like XML files that reference
> PUBLIC DTD's - if in looking at the default_host_stdout.log file you see
> errors about invalid public URL references during DTD registrations, or if
> your pages say "cannot find //logon or //saveRegistration (ie. action
> mappings) then do the following:
>
>    1. Stop Default Server
>    2. Go to servlets\WEB-INF\ and edit web.xml and struts_config.xml.
>    3. In the DOCTYPE declaration, change the word PUBLIC to SYSTEM and
>    completely remove the line that reads "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
>    Application 2.2//EN" from web.xml and remove "-//Apache Software
>    Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.0//EN" from struts-config.xml.

Did you try that? Did it make a difference?

What I would suggest is to look at each XML file you have (web.xml,
struts-config.xml, etc.) and look at the values for the SYSTEM and
PUBLIC identifiers in the DOCTYPE declaration at the top. Most likely,
you have one of those specified incorrectly.

If you can't spot which one is wrong, try building a minimal WAR with
only a web.xml and no other config files, then gradually gradually add
stuff back in until you discover which config file is causing the problem.

L.