struts-user mailing list archives

From Laurie Harper <lau...@holoweb.net>
Subject Re: action security
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:20:11 GMT
Brian Relph wrote:
> Here is a better example of what i am concerned about ...
>
> I send emails in my application, and i use spring to configure a
> JavaMailSender - this has a getter/setter for the"from" email address ... as
> well, i use a singleton bean for this object (this is the spring default
> nowadays), so a malicious user could send in a form parameter for
> mailSender.fromEmail, and then every email that my application sends would
> be from whatever string the submitted ...

That would require a getMailSender() on the action, wouldn't it? I'd
strongly suggest not having getters for 'sensitive' internals like that :-)

You might also want to consider breaking your action into two pieces:
the action that handles exposing data to pages / reading input from
users, and a 'service' class which holds references to DAOs and utility
classes like JavaMailSender. That could greatly reduce the surface area
of what is addressable through the action.

L.