struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Conner <jcon...@uplogix.com>
Subject RE: Best practice for passing success/error message to another dispatch (struts2)?
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:50:50 GMT
Thanks for the feedback Martin.

This is a really generic issue to me.
I have a list.  From the list you can do operations.  When you complete the operation you
want to go back to the list.
Success or error, you want to go the list with a message from the first dispatch.

Another example would be having a [delete] link on each row of the list.
You click [delete], it fails because the page was stale, so delegate to the list() dispatch
with the error message from delete().

I am asking for a best practice because I can make this work in several ways, none of which
seem clean.
This seems like the default behavior of any list page to me.  I am hoping there is a prescribed
flow to follow.

There are a couple options that I can think of:

1) go to error.jsp
This is really not desired.
Going to a default error page (or even a custom one) is breaking the workflow of the user.
They see the error and next need to click back to the list so they can try again.

2) call list() as the return import().
This works fine, but now there is hard coded "chaining" logic.

3) pass my own parameter in the result action tag in struts.xml.
Ex. <param name="myErrorMessage">${myErrorMessage}</param>
This is not desired either.  It basically means I am replacing the existing error framework.
All my JSPs would need to look for myErrorMessage instead of using the built in tags.